Friday, October 16, 2009

KINDER SCOUT : Protected Now They Say

After wandering over Kinder ( sometimes been burnt to a cinder... and with more stories than even an Anitcant can tell) I hear that those high up peat bogs and rocks and all that are now a natural treasure for the UK.

Anybody remember the protests from a few years ago? Anybody recall the ways that working folk were denied access to the so called "outdoors"?

Brings back a memory. One day as I was tramping upon the Kinder Scout moors I was stopped. A friendly man asked me : " How far is the Snake Inn"?

4 comments:

anticant said...

Well, I hope it was tucked safely inside your pants. It can be breezy up there.

BTW, what is an Anitcant?

Merkin said...

No delousing in The ZolaEmporium.

zola a social thing said...

It is quite obvious that those that make comments here have never worked in a damned dirty factory or mine.

Jesus wept : do I always talk this way?

anticant said...

No, but I've been down a coal mine. Very glad I did - especially as it was during the run-up to the 1945 election, so hot politics was getting more attention underground than digging coal. But once was enough; it filled me with intense admiration for miners.

I've been to lots of hot dirty and quite fascinating steel works, too, though I never worked in one.

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

The Awkward Squad are powered by alt-webring.com