Friday, September 12, 2008

LONG HAIRED ACADEMIC ENCHANTED BY SARAH

The well known A.C. Grayling, in the Guardian today, shows his spurs and his spikes like never before. He has come out of the closet. But before you waste your time reading his long winded rant just ask yourself what his opening words really mean. His article begins with :-

" One of the marks of irrationality is failure to profit from experience".

If anybody can explain this comment I take off me hat and eat it.

I doubt that most folk will suffer this little piss-take because the profits are always made through a failure of the vast majority to learn from experience.

9 comments:

Merkin said...

Salt and pepper, sir?

zola a social thing said...

Gimme some meat too me lord!

Merkin said...

Even though I do slag you, I did take the point and posted accordingly :

''One of the marks of irrationality is failure to profit from experience'

Prof Grayling has frequently been trashed on CiF and appears not to have profited from the experience.'

So, don't think you are farting in the wind, because we do hear and smell you.

zola a social thing said...

How can one profit from experience when experience is culture?
Sporty boys and girls just love the culture.
Is this what you mean by smelling the farts after a good Friday night?

Bring on the pea soup I say.

Merkin said...

Thank fuck for Global warming and the fact that Scotland is pointing in a different direction.

anticant said...

At the moment I'm thoroughly enjoying Grayling's biography of Hazlitt - "The Quarrel of the Age". Pity he doesn't stick to this high-class stuff instead of knocking off journalistic potboilers. But I suppose they keep him in Pate de Foie Gras, so maybe he isn't so stupid after all.

zola a social thing said...

Merkin me lad : global warming and all that - give me a few hundred years and I will get back to you on that one.

Antiprank : Hazlitt is terrible meat but good to use when rambling outdoors and outn of time.

anticant said...

Better not say that to poor old Michael Foot - he thinks Hazlitt [the writer, not the scraps of animal innards] was the greatest master of English prose as ever was.

zola a social thing said...

I often agree with Micheal Foot and I have taken Hazlitt on a journey or two.
See Hazlitt has not been left behind.

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

The Awkward Squad are powered by alt-webring.com