Tuesday, May 13, 2008

DES ESSEINTES IN SEARCH OF ANDY CAPP
Can a sick person show a little imagination in a sick social-body-politics?
Or is this "Against Nature"?
Are we not reminded today of the past when it was said that :-

" Seeing that nowadays there is nothing wholesome left in this world of ours ; seeing that the wine we drink and the freedom we enjoy are equally adulterate and derisory ; and finally, seeing that it takes a considerable degree of goodwill to believe that the governing classes are worthy of respect and that the lower classes are worthy of help or pity, it seems to me ....... that " ....................

Written in 1884 but still demanding an imaginative response in 2008.


7 comments:

anticant said...

Well, what DID it seem to him?

zola a social thing said...

Life was but an illusion and full of tackiness and artificiality. Best then to live a life with that in mind and to embrace turning worlds upside down.
Suspicion is that Zola was not amused but that is another story.

Anonymous said...

It seems to me ... that we should take decisions for the long term, in the interests of all stakeholders and hard-working families, guided by prudence and my superior moral compass, steering the nation through these times of global challenges. That's how it seems to me. And if you don't like it, if that isn't imaginative enough for you sneerers, then I'll throw one of my fucking wobblies. Or maybe just chew my fingernails.

zola a social thing said...

It is a sign of the times that knicker elastic it not what it was.
Roll out the ripples... get a grip mate.

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to realism?

Anonymous said...

I fail to see any connection here between a Classic piece of Literature and Andy Capp ( one of the most obnoxious cartoons ever).
Why do you write this drivel?

zola a social thing said...

Why do I write such drivel?
Basically Anonymous I write to keep myself amused and to upset little shits like you.
There is good reason enough !

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

The Awkward Squad are powered by alt-webring.com