Thursday, July 19, 2007

BOOKS AND WRITERS NEVER TO BE FORGOTTEN
Yesterday I picked up some words from Laurie Lee. Maybe a few remember him as a wonderful writer of poetry and prose. Anyway after struggling with a newspaper text concerning the round up of the news for the last week I felt in need of decent and good writing thoughts. I turned perchance to Laurie Lee.
Then damit his article called " The Village That Lost Its Children" sprang out at me. I was taken back to 1966 and that Aberfan tragedy.
The whole history of this political-economy where kids die young and the rich keep on going and going smacked me again and again.
Is it worth writing anything today when all has been said already?
Of course it is.

2 comments:

Merkin said...

On the night of the Aberfan Disaster I was taken to the 'pictures' by my father.
The film was about the great wall of china.
part of it showed workers being buried alive.
I still remember that time.

zola a social thing said...

Such are memories Merkin.
When will we ever learn?

Anyone know of a song about Aberfan?
Maybe a few folk singers have made this story live through music.

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

The Awkward Squad are powered by alt-webring.com