Saturday, July 21, 2007

EIGHT RANDOM FACTS FROM ZOLA
( I do this only once and only because I want to suck the web of Anna Mr who demanded this of me )

1. My grandmother had hair down to her hips although she usually wore it all up in a kind of big bun. The smell of my grandmothers bed remains with me today. I used to sleep there sometimes when my mother and father went dancing and the like. I would have been about 3 years old I guess. But the smell remains of her special warm bed.
2. As a five year old the Saturday morning was very special. With two friends of the same age I collected, between 8.00 and 11.00, any old iron, scrap, papers, rags and whatever from the local houses. The families expected us every Saturday and they were ready with the junk which we put on a two wheeled hand-held cart. Then we went to the scrap metal and ragman place to sell what we had collected. Just a fact that is strong in my memory. It was exciting and fun.
3. By 11 years of age my mother had learnt the right question to ask me when I came home from a school day. " How many times did you get caned today?", she would ask. Got caned once by a teacher and laughed because he tried to hit me so hard his glasses flew off and smashed on the floor. I had not laughed so much since one other nasty teacher had a heart attack.
4. By 17 years of age I was getting ok in the football and playing at a fairly high level but a goalkeeper ( damned great hunk of a fellow) kicked my leg to pieces. Six months in plaster cast. Got back to decent level football by about 21 but broke a leg again. The third broken leg was through climbing. Memory here was having the screws taken out after 8 months - as they unscrewed the screws and pins I felt no pain but I did feel the turns in the head. Weird I thought.
5. Oh yes I was made an honary member of the "Polar Bear Society".
6. Enjoyed canoes and kayaks. Even got a couple of Finnish medels and coached the Finnish youth team to silver medel at European Championships. Wonderful memories those. But also I remember kayaking around North Cape when a stone came down missing me by less than a metre. Some damned tourist wanted to trhow rocks down. But cannot complain I used to "trundle" ( throw rocks down mountains) quite often when I was active in the mountains.
7. As a kid I would often walk about 50 English miles on a weekend just for the fun of it and with a rucksack on me back. My mother had only one rule : be back by four on Sunday. That was the Suffolk coastline and countryside. The experience once with the daughter of the farmer ( I had asked to camp overnight on his land) remains in my memory as a vivid wonderful thing. Lust can be beautiful.
8. I was sent to Finland to work on a project in 1976. Never seemed to have lived in the UK after that although Sweden and Norway have been lived-in. Lapland, or the southern part of lapland, is my home. Our garden has many hedgehogs, squirrels, mousey-mousies for the cat, birds aplenty and for the first year I am trying to grow peas in the garden. But I do not like gardening, fishing or hunting so there......

20 comments:

anticant said...

Oh Zola, what a lovely portrait of the younger you. You will always be young at heart.

zola a social thing said...

Young at heart Anti but still no wiser with age.

Anonymous said...

I want more........please
more stories from you......I can see your Grandmother now.....

Anonymous said...

I love that memory of your grandmother...and of collecting scrap on a Saturday morning.

All good stuff and redolent of an era when you could go out, get lost, get injured or get up to no good, and your parents wouldn't be there to pick you up in the car or forever be calling your mobile phone. Sounds like a well misspent youth :-)

zola a social thing said...

Yes Lavender me gran was like that. Big shame was that her children all died before her. Life can be like that too.

BTW : You always want more and you must let me sleep sometimes you know.
Ah dunno women today....

zola a social thing said...

Glad you liked that little cultural bit me old Trousers as sensitive as you are. Couldn't write in your more in-depth way however although wish I could.
Yes we are of different generations and I often wonder how my own four kids will remember their mis-spent youth. We have tried to promote adventurous freedom as much as is sensible in our eyes. Oldest one ended up in a rock band.... ooppps.

My youth was hard in one way but full of lively adventures. Had little money and little need of it.
Now I have little money and a big need for it.

Anna MR said...

Dear, sweet Zola - thank you, I feel much obliged now. That was pure loveliness, and as you know, this comes from a true romantic.

"Lust can be beautiful."

Oh, I just knew under the faux-cranky exterior... you are one too.

(I did kayaking when I was young. I had good balance but no competitive spirit. This remains quite telling of me, to this day. My random factoid number, um, 12 is it?)

xx

zola a social thing said...

Dear Sweet Zola is it now!!! Before it was grumpy-bollicky-blogger. But all is fair in lusty pursuits.
I agree with that non-competitive kayaking bit. The best kind methinks.

So then Anna Mr, tugger par excellence, glad you liked some of those random bits and pieces.
Made me remember many things as I was trying to keep true to the random ideas bit.
Dear sweet Zola indeed.......umph

Anonymous said...

Careful, Anna MR. Lavenderblue will be jealous! How many is there room for in a kayak?

Anonymous said...

The polar bear society?

Is it for hairy butch guys who like to camp (it up) on ice? (No farmers' daughters required?)

Merkin said...

Naw, surely it must be these stockbrokers who are buying up all the global warming while they can.

zola a social thing said...

Butwhatif : The Polar Bear Society is based in Hemmerfest in North Norway.
As an honourable member I must decline to comment on the details.
I was presented that "award" many years ago after we ( 4 of us)paddled the north Norway coastline and got tagged by press, radio and TV. Of course the local bigwigs liked us.

In north Norway it is Fishermans daughters by the way. Good too.

zola a social thing said...

Merkin : You bring a sense of banjo reality back into this world of tags and all that.
Can I go home now Miss ( I want to go to the toilet, please Miss, I really need to go)
Self-Discipline it what you need Zola came the reply.

Anonymous said...

HeeHeeHee......
NO ! ZoZoBear !
You will wait until told........

zola a social thing said...

Pleezze
If you say no I will piss on yer carpet.
So there.
I'm tired and I want to go home.

Anonymous said...

No pissing on lavenderblue's carpet.

By Order

Anonymous said...

In North Norway our Zola once paddled the water

And met with a fisherman's feisty young daughter

She netted him like a fish ripe for the slaughter

And taught him a lot of things she didn't ought ter

Anonymous said...

Gypsy Rose Lee - as dear, sweet Zola can tell you, there are four-man kayaks. Plenty room for one more, in addition to d/s Zola, Ms Lavenderblue and myself...

anticant said...

Yes, please - when do we leave?

zola a social thing said...

Forgot to say that I hated school uniforms when I laughed back at the UK fetish for caning and spanking. In fact I enjoyed many discussions with the once Headmaster/educator Mick Duane who tried his best to stop such violence and smiles on teachers faces.
Why does the UK continue with all this crap I ask?

Anyway, with permission, I will leave this thread and move on.
Shiiiii...it back to dancing in the street?

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

The Awkward Squad are powered by alt-webring.com