Friday, January 12, 2007

WADDLING LIKE A DUCK IN DUSSELDORF

A few years ago I was visiting Dusseldorf in Germany and there was night free from work and typical gatherings. I asked for advice on what to do. One local Duss advised me to visit the "Longest Bar in Europe". A challenge and OK. Off I went to find this bar. He would not tell me the address. I started out about six in the early evening and began my quest peradventure. After the first two or three pubs I was getting closer. I had asked the bar staff in all pubs about this longest bar and they all knew it but nobody, they said, was allowed to say exactly where it was to be found. never give up was my motto for life in those years. By 11 O'Clock in the evening and after a few more pubs I found it thanks to a rare and honest lady who educated me. Thereafter i could rest and enjoy what was left of the evening. I waddled home quacking to myself and much wiser.
Am I the only AWK that has found this "Longest Bar in Europe"?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pissed again Zola?

Anonymous said...

Longest bar in Europe is 'The Horseshoe' in Glasgow, no?.
(That particular bar has finally gone healthy and banned pie and beans from the menu).

zola a social thing said...

Trust you to say that !
Is this Horseshoe in the Easterhausen frauzen wow-zen?

zola a social thing said...

My mother never allowed to such places as Glasgow unless it was to play for Celtic.

Anonymous said...

Is that The Horseshoe in Drury Street.......?
I only ask because apparently the pies are back on the menu as from Monday next..............

Anonymous said...

Ah, but you forget I am multiMongrel in background.
I can insult any of them from a position of strength without any sense of shame.
Check your mail tomorrow for my football story, finally.
At one point, in Glasgow, I played for a club called 'The Mermaid'.
I was the only non-dyed in the wool Tim in the team. Privileged.
We always lost, doesn't matter.
Point is, this particular team, based in Heraghty's Bar in the south side, was NAMED after the most Orange bar in the whole of Glasgow.
Shows our attitude to these things.
Fight the good fight.

Yes, LavvyBloo, Drury Street
And i am so pleased that you can Google with the best of us now.

Anonymous said...

Pity you didn't .you would have known about the pies.........

Anonymous said...

I already posted about the pie protest, elsewhere. Yawwwwwn

Anonymous said...

Beeb News http://geobay.com/72a743
'They can take our Freedom but they can't take our Pies.'

Anonymous said...

In fact, this campaign was a model of collective action. Let us take note.
http://www.horseshoebar.co.uk/

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

The Awkward Squad are powered by alt-webring.com