Sunday, November 11, 2007

A DAY FOR FATHERS AND DADS
Not sure about everywhere but in Finland today a father is thanked.
My father is dead and gone but I might still thank him.

He was non-violent.
He used to warm my clothes early in the morning before I went out to deliver newspapers at 6 in the morning in the rain.
He crafted a wooden fort for one birthday and I played with it for many years until I became too "mature" ( that fort was given to others and I hear is still used). Good craftsman he was.
Smashed my head in once. Father cleaned me up calmed me and then made sure I was not alone in the hospital.
At the end, attacked by cancer, he still tried his best to chat to me as a father would. He was brave in his sweat and bumpy body.

Thanks dad

5 comments:

anticant said...

Oh dear, so you too had your favourite toy taken away because you were "too old" for it. Seems to be a bad habit of loving but over-anxious parents who want you to be 'average' [or a bit above], but not to stick out like a sore thumb....

That happened to me, too. But like you, I loved my father dearly.

zola a social thing said...

As always Anticant. Perception .....
But I still have one toy left that nobody has yet managed to take away.

Anonymous said...

Zola it is poopeeee day today
come on now be a good boy scout.

Merkin said...

My mother was the oldest ever barmaid in the British Legion Club until recently.
Her two friends visited the Cenotaph today.
Dear Agony Aunt, how can I explain to them that I don't want to wear a poppy like Tony Blair or the Rupert who caused the death of Gordon Gentle?

Anonymous said...

I love the bit about him warming your clothes before you went out. Also the fact that he made a present for you himself: that would be a very rare thing now, I would have thought.

Sounds like a very good and decent man.

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

The Awkward Squad are powered by alt-webring.com