Thursday, November 22, 2007

A DISGRACE
The England football game last night was a disgrace. From the beginning when Brits went booooooooooooooooo to Croatia as their national music played. The spin from players and manager, on and on lies and deceit in management talk-ways to control the damage.
The game reflected, for me, the new UK that I have finally begun to see and understand.
I am not alone in ex-pat circles to say a disgrace and to apologise to any left out there that thought the Brits could behave in better ways.
To be an ex-pat is often to live and feel Britishness more than a Brit. Maybe I take the shock too seriously.
But I am disgusted.
Even the so called manager did not wait for his own players to leave the pitch - he almost ran down the exit tunnel.
This is Blairite Britain for me clear as clear to be.

I think I am glad that Croatia and many others have and will take this new uk to the cleaners and down a few pegs.
During my summer visit there I senses something awful. Now I see an example of that awfulness through football at all levels.

This is a deep culture of spin and powder-puff-kid arrogance. It will not go away soon.
How can a person apologise for this disgusting display of Nu-UK?

8 comments:

anticant said...

The slide started with Maggie Thatcher's famous "There is no such thing as society", and has worsened with ten years of Blair's "educashun, educashun, educashun".

Talking to some of the youngsters who have just emerged from this process waving paper 'degrees', their ignorance is astonishing.

Recently I met one such who said he had studied history in France, and had never heard of Agincourt.

Not so surprising, really, I suppose.

zola a social thing said...

Anticant : May I agree and regret. I have also been involved in UK students on exchange degree courses and oh dear me. So many other EU countries tried to help them along on the basics.
But then many UK students felt "abused" or at least "not liked" and they asked me for help.
I told them to get studying and catch up. I was then an object of bad feedback and a letter was sent from one uk university ( a very new one) to complain that I was a bad guy.

But I have also been, throughout my life, working with those that do not even need to know the battle of this or the date of that. However there was then a huge respect and a huge arena of decent communication possible with book-learning.
Taking back the street is ok when the street is not totally fucked up.

I remain seeking a wider picture which is why Marx, Durkheim and Weber are so significant even today and even for an old fart like mesen.
Alienation, Anomie and enchantment?

Merkin said...

Gazza, indeed!

zola a social thing said...

Clue-less in?

Hello Merk : Ruuuknee studies now. He sure plays a mean sin ball.

zola a social thing said...

Can I ever recall the love of the game itself.
Where the dance is the dancer?

That is where image meets content through human form(s).

trousers said...

I agree completely zola. Good post.

anticant said...

It isn't news that you are a bad guy, Zola. All stirrers and true educators are.

More power to your insights. And DON'T LET YOUSELF GET DEPRESSED!

Anonymous said...

Fabio Capello has just 9 days, 13 hours and 11 minutes left to learn English for his first meeting with the England squad! Pledge your support now and help Fabio Capello learn English!

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

The Awkward Squad are powered by alt-webring.com