Saturday, November 10, 2007

TO BE A GOOD PARENT?
Winnicott used to ask us to do things "just good enough". Always thought that such a simple and clear statement was just good enough.

A good parent is so abstract and yet this abstraction is all we have to try and live with in bloggerlands. Such is the hassle of worded-deeds.

But, at the same time, good parents "are worth it".
Is this irony and a postmodern play?

I was an adopted child and proud of it in this way. I was given a second chance as it were. I was parented. Gifted.
Maybe that is what I might say to this question.
Second chances are good.

4 comments:

Merkin said...

A changeling !! I knew it.
So, my story about Zola being a twin of AntiCant was not so far off the mark.
.
http://tinyurl.com/24q8hx

anticant said...

Alas, my mother never succeeded in producing an Anticant Mark 2. And Zola isn't old enough to be my twin. I do feel a sort of blood-brothership towards him, though.

Anonymous said...

"It's not what you do, it's who you are that counts."

That's Haringey's current pitch for more foster parents.

Every time I see that poster when in traffic, it gets me to give way more.

zola a social thing said...

I grew up asking myself the question of why does a baby get left on doorsteps.
To be found and cared for maybe?
I grew up being thankful that I was found just in time and just well enough.
So much for biology eh?

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

The Awkward Squad are powered by alt-webring.com