Sunday, December 17, 2006

Are Mobile Phones Really Handy?

Old tale. Nokia connects people but disconnect families. Advertising execs did not like that quick comment from Finns a few years back. But it may be worse than that.

Recent report. Death of young man in canoeing tragedy. Basic info was : Three 20-something men canoeing and one gets into trouble and stuck in the river only a few metres from the riverbank. The remaining two run to get their mobile phones. Man stuck in river dies through drowning.

Recent report ( UK) : Mountain rescue teams fed up with mobile phone use by inexperienced mountain walkers who call for help and have no idea where they actually are.

Recent report : Without a mobile phone we do not know what time of the day it is !!!

Wow is this how Finland and Nokia land will go down in history?

11 comments:

anticant said...

Why such huge type? Bullfrog Zola rides again....

Anonymous said...

In fact that story should be writ big. Dreadful tale.

zola a social thing said...

Anticant : what on earth are you talking about? Take yer glasses off I say.

zola a social thing said...

Merkin : What day is it?

Anonymous said...

Could be fish or Friday, for all I know.

zola a social thing said...

Merkin : You should google that question on your mobile phone.

Anonymous said...

I don't use Google - I use Scroogle (which is a Google scraper) for privacy reasons. (I do use gmail even though I know I shouldn't).
http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm
I have a Nokia phone here with a Polish card, which I have never used.
Will send you a small something via email which shows how I feel about mobiles. (Usual rules about mail from a Dirty Bishop to apply.)
When I have one I use it, when I don't have one I don't need it.
In Poland it was necessary simply because when I went there the waiting list could be 15 years for a land line.

zola a social thing said...

Anonemouse : What is your private line ? I wonder I do !
As for 15 years waiting --- Blair takes longer than that to answer a straight question we are told.

Anonymous said...

Just sent a coupla notes to your own address - but it failed probably coz I made a reference in the subject line to Dirty Bishops !!
Will try again.

Anonymous said...

Sorted, my mistake.

zola a social thing said...

Naughty actresses are acceptable.

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

The Awkward Squad are powered by alt-webring.com