Thursday, December 28, 2006

Surviving Silly Season Blues

From Xmas and through to New Year is sometimes considered to be a very silly season indeed. Some blogger-types seem to hate this period and do their level best to put us into shame mode. Xmas brings out the worst in those logical and lonely and loveless souls that refuse personal involvement, humour, serious play and humility. It maybe the spirits of Christmas and New Year that facilitate silliness but let us remember that Xmas is only a practice for the real New Year thing.
But at the risk of being cut down to size Zola pleads for silliness. A wonderful Xmas has been had as we, as a family, lived again under the same roof. A joy to have all the kids back home even if the kids seem to have aged rather much.
Yesterday Bruce Springstein ( playing old Guthrie inspired stuff ) helped us all avoid dead-bloggers blues. Oh Billy don't you weep don't you moan.

Hope this blog is not 2 personal !!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I hate this period, although I can't imagine wanting to shame anyone into anything...

I'm thinking very hard about 'logical, lonely and loveless'. Nope, not me. I adore the alliteration, 'owever.

Thanks, zola, for coming out in favour of silliness. We are as one in this regard.

Except.... except. Bruce Springsteen? Silly? I can't get those two words in the same sentence without including the word 'not'. Dreadfully earnest fist-pumping, lighter-waving workingman's stuff.

Nay, they seek it here, they seek it there, they seek their silliness everywhere, but not, I venture, in Stringbean's back catalogue.

Anonymous said...

And as for the Guthrie chap, well, Alice's Restaurant was an appropriate piece of entertainment for the time...

If you want to find some multilayered musical silliness, you could do worse than try Vicki Bennett at www.peoplelikeus.org

Her entire back catalogue is freely available on the web - a kind of social anarchy you might approve of, zola - and is extremely silly. Abridged Too Far would be a good place to start.

anticant said...

Boo-hoo.

anticant said...

Zola, I won't persist in asking you to e-mail me if you don't want to, but I would like to send you a link that I am unwilling to put on-line.

zola a social thing said...

Szwagi : As for the "Boss". It did take him a little extra time to sing well again did it not? But thank god the boss is back.

Anticant : you and yer boo-hoo you. But this e-mail business is difficult for me due to my own simple computer stuff. I need to so careful ( this also by sending if I have been infected ). I rarely use it and hardly ever open attachments. This is a necessity for me as a computer idiot.

BTW : I'm warmed up now for the New year stuff. Hope i survive.

zola a social thing said...

Szwagi : Are you Kinky?

anticant said...

Zola: I have high-level anti-virus protection, and so if you e-mail me at hotmail I would be most unlikely to catch anything "nasty". Also I am virus-free for sending. All I want to do is to point you to a Google page link - no attachments!

Anonymous said...

OOOOh......is it........naughty ?

zola a social thing said...

hope so

anticant said...

Well, you won't find out if you just sit trembling at your computer wondering whether you dare send an e-mail!

zola a social thing said...

Blame it on the DTs

anticant said...

Want a subscription to Alcoholics Anonymous as a New Year prezzie?

zola a social thing said...

do they give away free beer there?
If so yesh plesh

zola a social thing said...

When asked if he had a drinking problem he replied NO, unless the pubs are closed.

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

The Awkward Squad are powered by alt-webring.com