Saturday, December 30, 2006

A SAD DAY AT THE END OF ANOTHER SAD YEAR

The hanging of Saddam may well be celebrated by brutal barbarians like George W Bush and many others but it is yet another sad dent in any civilisation process. This morning was another sick sign of wretchedness. It was already said quite clearly and by many that the Nazi atrocities brought with it the end of art and poetry and any sense of the worth of cultural civilising processes. To listen to classical high-culture music just after working to murder Jewish folk was, it was said, the end of the educational value of the liberal arts. It seems to me that the Western world(s) have yet to handle that demise from Nazi times.

Today, fueled by yet another crises-ridden condition of capitalism and fueled by an increasing mechanical version of ethics, the West(s) are lacking all courage and lacking any sense of character to counter the prevailing currents of overt and covert acts of oppression and torture and murder. As a new totalitarianism takes hold in the West it must be time to rekindle those radical sparks of dignified revolt. Civil disobedience is again necessary and radical alternatives again necessary. That is the best I can find to say on yet another sad day like this where to sit and moan or even weep would be understandable.
Of course Saddam himself is just a public and worldwide example of this demise and of course humanitas and caritas is never measured in numbers.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have sent you another picture from 'yesterday's' Saddam Appeal Exhibition by Lord Biro.
The Murdoch Rag gave the reason for the judicial murder as 'the need to protect human rights'. Perverse.

zola a social thing said...

Thanks merkin.
I take your murdoch points too.
Perverse? Yes. And worse. It was not just typical perverse State killing it was a total farce of a trial.
One tragedy upon another and another and that means FARCE.

Anonymous said...

'I think it better that in times like these a poet's mouth be silent, for in truth we have no gift to set a statesman right.'
WB said it all. Many times, many ways.

Anonymous said...

I can only add my agreement to the above comments and the original post. Thanks zola and merkin.

Anonymous said...

As usual, I can hardly express my feelings about these bastards who rule us. Oooooooops, sorry. Bastards, bad wording.
Consequently, I am going to post something nice and innocuous..
A song.

Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie whatcha,
Ging gang goo, Ging gang goo,
Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie whatcha,
Ging gang goo, Ging gang goo.
Part II:
Hey-lah, Hey-lah, Shey-lah,
Hey-lah, Shey-lah, Hey-lah,
Ho - Oh,
Hey-lah, Hey-lah, Shey-lah,
Hey-lah, Shey-lah, Hey-lah, Ho.

Part III:
Shilla-willa, Shilla-willa,
Shilla-willa, Shilla-willa,
Oompah, Oompah,
Oompah, Oompah...
Ging gang...

So, in future, when I say that Blair and Bush should be 'goolied' and given the big 'oompah', I am not using the bad language which has seen bannings from CiF and other public fora.
Anyone who wants to sing-a-long can join in the jamboree if they follow the link.
http://www.grandfolkies.com/ging1.htm

Anonymous said...

A story for our times, Merkin.
Takes me back.
A Chief Deacon from my local Church would, when shocked or angry, nearly always say 'What the hair oil?.'
I was only fifteen but thought to myself 'What the fuck does he mean?.'
Fortunately, his fourteen year old daughter translated for me and, in later years, gave me a right-good seeing-to, as well.
Oompah, oompah as they say.

zola a social thing said...

Think there was something in that sinalong song about : " hold them down you Zulu warriors".
use yer imagine for that one.
have you seen You Tube where Bush and Blair sing "Gay bar" ? My son showed it to me today and he cheered me up no end.
Agree with you all on those bastards that rule over us.

Anonymous said...

Heading for it like an exocet, I am.
The video that is.

Anonymous said...

Dog's bollox. Simple.

Anonymous said...

Merkin your post (Ging gang goolie) just made me laugh out loud. Amidst everything else, cheers!

Anonymous said...

While we're passing on videos and the like, I might just mention an oldie but goodie,State of the Union which places Dubya in Teletubby land. Worth a couople of minutes of your time.

zola a social thing said...

Ah it seems that an arty liberal and educational culture remains.
Will have to reconsider my post I will.
Thanks merky for ging-gangin our goolies.

zola a social thing said...

Have reconsidered my original post and here is the judgement.
This thread is not High Culture and therefore the thread remains OK.
But with an added extra : Low Culture OK.
And the ging-gang goolie song ends with a :-
" ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, arrr-SHIT!

Back to sillyland happy days
I'm going to work me ticket if I can.

Anonymous said...

High Zigga Zoomba

High zigga zoomba, zoomba, zoomba
High zigga zoomba, zoomba, zay
High zigga zoomba, zoomba, zoomba
High zigga zoomba, zoomba, zay
Hold them down, you Zulu Warriors
Hold them down, you Zulu chief
Chief chief chief chief.

[Boys repeat "chief". Girls repeat verse.]
*************************
Is this what he teaches on these team building courses far away in the mountains?.
We should be told.

zola a social thing said...

They cut away me tongue.
So i blog as a "Voice of the Shuttle".

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

The Awkward Squad are powered by alt-webring.com