Friday, December 08, 2006

THE GREAT OUTDOORS and ADVENTURE (blog-eclectic style)

An adventure has always been attached somehow to those wild and free spaces. When I used to kayak with the sea there was always a "special kind of freedom" as a most wonderful happening. Frank Goodman, from the UK, first used that "special kind of freedom" comment, if I recall well enough from the 1970s, although the first writer to insist upon such a theme was R.L. Stevenson. In one of his early books, from 120 odd years back, Robert Louis Stevenson tried to escape his strict Scottish and church-like life to go canoeing through Europe. The book was called an "Inland Voyage". A voyage of the mind for sure but outdoors and peradventure. Would anybody name their canoe today like a ship would be named? What about the name "Cigarette"? RLS would be seen today as a very bad role model for youth and society.

The "Outdoors" has always been a special kind of place and space. The more the city makes a mind the more the outdoors rebels through many folk. The "outdoors" is a kind of dirty place. Mary Douglas, a wonderful culural anthropologist, used to say that in an age of clean and well ordered systems to be a bit dirty was to be "out of place" and out of order. The special kind of freedom of my kayaking days were out of order, wet and wild and windy and always a bit dirty. Such was the adventure.

I am beginning to look upon the internet voyages in a similar way. The electronic way of virtual waves miss, of course, the real sea mist and wetness and real high waves, but in one limited sense the great outdoors and the adventure finds connection with what can only be called a BLOG-ECLECTIC arena. There is also a special kind of freedom in this blog-eclectic domain and just as the sea and the kayak demands care so to this virtual world. The blog-eclectic wilderness is dirty and out-of-place vis-a-vis the well ordered and clean places. This jetsam-flotsam face of the internet waves is a different kind of inland voyage but still it deserves care and attention.

17 comments:

anticant said...

Dear Zola, What lovely surprises you provide for one to wake up to! Another beautifully crafted piece, full of insightful, poetic wisdom.

RLS is one of my favourite authors, as well as a personal hero [except for the smoking!] He forms a sizeable chunk of the library. Before I rashly started blogging, in the autumn, I was getting nicely through his collected letters [8 volumes], and thought I would easily finish them before Christmas. Now I'm still only half way through vol. 5, so it's unlikely.

Stevenson is the only other person I know, besides one of my doctors, to mention "cachexia", which the Oxford Concise defines as an "ill-conditioned state of body or mind". Nuff said!

Thrice welcome to our blog-eclectic domain. I doubt whether it will be a calm voyage, but let's hope it is a prosperous one.

I'll be off-line until later today as it is my hospice morning and I must get ready to go now. Adios.

zola a social thing said...

all the best anticant for your day
see you later

Anonymous said...

You're on a roll, Inky

zola a social thing said...

Take care I am put yer sausage in the middle and bite..... or might send yer to the Alps that has an S.....

Our Ducky would enjoy this fun.

zola a social thing said...

That should have read : I will if you will so will I
Just forgot the damned words again.

Anonymous said...

I will refrain from posting this on 'the burrow' as a sign of my good intent. However, Zola is a wicked bastard and I have no such qualms here!!
Anti talked about an invitation to a parachutist sauna club and I was reminded of a story from a friend of mine doing his first parachute jump.
The plane reached 10,000 feet and the 8 other squaddies jumped.
He refused having had a fit of acrophobia.
The instructor said 'Jump!'
My friend said that he refused again.
The instructor said 'Jump' and yet again my friend refused.
The instructor said 'If you don't jump, I will fuck your arse for you.
I said to my friend 'Did you jump?'
He said 'Yes, just a little bit when he started!'

anticant said...

Nice one, Merkin. Pity you thought it was not suitable for the burrow. The burrow has quite a raunchy side, you know, but it's usually kept well under wraps because of possible visits from sisters, cousins or aunts. [That's why I never use a big big D.]

What's acrophobia?

zola a social thing said...

Is that was is called a "jump start"?

Is this with the electric eel?
Illuminating it is!!!

Anonymous said...

If you had pogonphobia you would not be even speaking to me (fear of beards).
Acro is fear of heights (which I suffer from).
Triskaidekaphobia - fear of the Number 13.
This is the sort of trivial pursuit stuff which most of the TEFL teachers feed on - an easy lesson with no prep (after the first time).
And the students love it.
ttp://phobialist.com/

zola a social thing said...

Students? : cannot stand the pests.
A waste of time they are!
Stop good education they do.

zola a social thing said...

Yellow Duck : please help me here.
I am in the forest again.

Anonymous said...

I did the phobia lesson once. The same as the number of times I did hangman with a class.

Calling students 'pests' is way too polite. 'Parasites', 'energy vampires', 'waste of good human tissue' would be closer to my own feelings. But then I have a hard heart.

Teaching did that to me.

anticant said...

That's how I feel about people who KNOW that they are 'saved'.

Anonymous said...

If they are 'saving fallen women' then maybe they can save one for me.

Anonymous said...

I have absolutely no objection to people who know they're saved, as long as they don't try to 'save' me and mine.

And even then, it's not the knowledge I object to but the application of it.

anticant said...

Exactly, szwagier. That's the whole point. It's the CONSEQUENCES of their beliefs - not least to you and me - that I object to. Humanity would be far better off without the lot of them.

zola a social thing said...

I am getting confused even on me own blog site.
Seems exciting it does.

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

The Awkward Squad are powered by alt-webring.com